Spooner Sheep Day and Dairy Sheep Day Proceedings
2016 Proceedings Spooner Sheep Day
64th ANNUAL SPOONER SHEEP DAY
Spooner Agricultural Research Station of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Spooner, Wisconsin
Saturday, August 27, 2016
The 64th Annual Spooner Sheep Day will be held at the Spooner Agricultural Research Station on Saturday, August 27, 2016. Registration will open at 8:30 a.m. at the Station Headquarters (W6646 Hwy 70, Spooner, WI 54801). The educational program will start at 9:20 a.m. and end at approximately 3:30 p.m.
It is very likely that the 2016 event will be the last Spooner Sheep Day because the sheep are to be sold on October 13, 2016 due to severe budget cuts to the UW System. The Spooner Agricultural Research Station was established in 1908 and is the oldest of the several agricultural research stations operated throughout Wisconsin by the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Sheep were introduced to the Spooner Station in 1936, and the first sheep field day was held in 1953. The Spooner Sheep Day is thought to be the longest-running agricultural field day of the several held each year by CALS.
This year’s program will be a look back and a celebration of the accomplishments and impact of the Spooner sheep program. Speakers include:
- Dr. Richard “Dick” Vatthauer – Emeritus Professor and former Beef and Sheep Extension Specialist, UW-Madison
- Dr. Sherwood “Woody” Lane – previous Beef and Sheep Extension Specialist, UW-Madison and current Livestock Nutritionist and Forage Specialist, Roseburg, Oregon
- Robert “Bob” Rand, former Superintendent, Spooner Ag Research Station, UW-Madison
- Yves Berger, Emeritus Sheep Researcher and former Superintendent, Spooner Ag Research Station, UW-Madison
- Philip “Phil” Holman, Current Superintendent, Spooner Ag Research Station, UW-Madison
- Laurel Kieffer, Dairy Sheep Producer and President, Dairy Sheep Association of North America, Strum, WI
- Duane Klindworth, Sheep Producer and Immediate Past President, Indianhead Sheep Breeders Association, Augusta, WI
- Debbie Petzel, Sheep Producer and current Board Member, Wisconsin Sheep Breeders Cooperative, Centuria, WI
- Dr. Maristela Rovai, previous post-doctoral student at Spooner Ag Research Station and current Dairy Cattle Extension Specialist, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD
- Tom Cadwallader, Previous Sheep Researcher, Spooner Agricultural Research Station and Professor Emeritus, UW-Extension, Lincoln Co., Merrill, WI
- Alexa Roscizewski, undergraduate student, Department of Animal Sciences, UW-Madison and current Summer Sheep Intern at Spooner Ag Research Station
- Dr. David “Dave” Thomas, Professor of Sheep Management and Genetics, UW-Madison
The complete schedule can be found at the UW-Madison Sheep and Goat Extension Web Site: https://fyi.uwex.edu/wisheepandgoat/ or the web site of the Spooner Ag Research Station: http://spooner.ars.wisc.edu/, or contact Lorraine Toman at the Spooner Agricultural Research Station (firstname.lastname@example.org, 715-635-3735) or Dave Thomas at UW-Madison (email@example.com, 608-263-4306) for additional information.
IMPORTANT: Pre-Registration Required – Pre-registration for this event is required with a deadline of August 19, 2016. Contact Lorraine Toman at the Spooner Agricultural Research Station at 715-635-3735 or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org register. Space may be limited. Attendance at the educational sessions is free, but a nominal fee will be charged for a delicious lamb lunch.
Spooner Sheep Day is sponsored by the Agricultural Research Stations and Department of Animal Sciences, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Cooperative Extension, University of Wisconsin-Extension.
Spooner Sheep Day
Spooner Dairy Sheep Day
|1995 (43rd)||2002 (50th)||2014 (62nd)||2007 (3rd)|
|1996 (44th)||2004 (51st)||2015 (63rd) Part 1||2009 (4th)|
|1997 (45th)||2006 (52nd)||2015 (63rd) Part 2||2011 (5th)|
|1998 (46th)||2008 (53rd)||2016 (64th)|
|1999 (47th)||2010 (54th)|
|2000 (48th)||2012 (55th)|
|2001 (49th)||2013 (61st)|