Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center is a residential facility operated by the University of Wisconsin-Extension and located on the beautiful Wisconsin River, two miles north of Wisconsin Dells. The site consists of 14 buildings that supply lodging, meals and environmental education resources year round for youth and youth leaders. The center rests on 310 acres of forested land including Blackhawk Island, a 210-acre designated State Natural Area. This wooded property is considered one of the few remaining “old growth” natural areas of the state. The rock cliffs, shady canyons, caves and sandy beaches feature a variety of flora, fauna and unique geologic and cultural history.
Currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Facility & Operations Director
WORKING TITLE: Facility and Operations Director – Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center (100%)
OFFICIAL TITLE: Administrative Program Specialist title series (no prefix or senior)
GEOGRAPHIC AREAS SERVED: Primarily the Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center and occasionally extending beyond county boundaries for specific commitments and team programming.
OFFICE LOCATION: Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center, N194 County Road N, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
The Facility and Operations Director – Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center develops, coordinates, and implements environmental education programs for Center user groups (i.e., primarily youth groups) of the Upham Woods Outdoor Education Center and through the effective management of the buildings, equipment, facilities and grounds at the Center. The Facility and Operations Director works with the Center Director/4H-YD Environmental Education Specialist in raising funds for the improvement of educational activities; serves as a facilitator between groups using Center facilities; and functions as primary contact for Upham Woods when the Center Director is not on site. The Facility and Operations Director is responsible for managing the facility of Upham Woods, including supervision of custodial and maintenance teams, risk management, recruiting users of the Center, fundraising, and coordinating facility related improvements to the Center including externally funded projects such as grants. The Facility and Operations Director supervises two full time staff members: the Buildings and Grounds Supervisor and the Office Operations Associate. This position reports to the Center Director for all work matters including professional development, purchase approvals, and long term facility planning. The Facility and Operations Director is also responsible for coordinating programs and staff training with the Upham Woods Outdoor Education Center Program Director and the Upham Woods Outdoor Education Center Director/4H-YD Environmental Education Specialist.
PRIMARY DUTIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide administrative and operational leadership for the Upham Woods Outdoor Education Center when the Center Director is not on site
- Provide leadership for property and facility management of the Upham Woods Outdoor Education Center; including supervising maintenance and custodial staff, as well as managing equipment, program animals, buildings and grounds in compliance with relevant best practices and university policies, laws and state codes
- Lead implementation of the facility and property operations maintenance and quality control plan
- Lead donor development efforts for development and execution of donation expectations related to Upham Woods property, buildings and facilities
- Coordinate offsite contractors in their work on the campus to minimize client impact; supervise contractors to minimize risk
- Promote, coordinate, and evaluate environmental education programs for Center user groups, including recruitment of new groups, and serving as a facilitator to such groups
- Work with members of the Upham Woods Advisory Committee to develop and implement a strategic environmental education plan for the Center
- Work with the Center Director to raise outside funds for improvement of educational programming, including the administration of externally funded projects (such as grants)
- Communicate with users and stakeholders through Upham Woods web site development and maintenance, telecommunications, e-mail, print materials, and attendance at relevant conferences and workshops
- Provide assistance as needed to recruit, train, and supervise seasonal naturalists and interns
- Share responsibility for evening and weekend programming with on-call staff
- Develop and coordinate program volunteer efforts including recruitment
- Reach and engage diverse audiences in ways that are inclusive and do not discriminate to ensure full access to programs, facilities and educational services
Applications must be submitted through the UW Extension Job Board.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Justin Hougham, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on each position please see the links below:
E-mail your cover letter, resumè and three references to:
Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center
N194 County Road N
Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
(608) 254-6461 x202