These videos and narrated powerpoints can help you learn how to safely preserve food or add interest to your teaching. You can find many video resources online, but for safe preserving be sure to follow trusted resources from the UW Extension program.
Canning – video segments from the very popular So Easy to Preserve series
- Acid levels in foods affect processing method
- Understanding altitude effects on processing
- The importance of head space in canning
- Applying lids to jars
- Cooling jars at end of process
- The boiling water canning process
- The pressure canning process
- Hot pack for fruits
- Hot pack for vegetables
- Raw pack for vegetables
Ball Canning offers these canning tutorials
Freezing – video segments from the very popular So Easy to Preserve series
- Preventing browning of cut fruits
- Syrup pack for freezing fruits
- Sugar pack for freezing fruits
- Dry or tray pack for freezing fruits
Dehydrating – video segments from the very popular So Easy to Preserve series
For Educators –
Mini Modules – Using narrated powerpoint, the University of Minnesota has created 20 5-minute online Food Preservation mini-modules. Topics include Pressure Canning 101, Boiling Water Canning Method, Jam and Jelly Basics, and more.
A quick overview of canning can be found in Home Canning Basics from Penn State University.