Nothing inspires the holiday mood more than the scents of vanilla and nutmeg! To start your holiday celebration, try this safe recipe for eggnog from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Cheers!
1 quart of 2% milk
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
Calories: 135 per ½ cup
Cholesterol: 120 mg per ½ cup
Yield: 2 quarts
- Heat milk in large saucepan until hot (do not boil or scald). While milk is heating, beat together eggs and salt in a large bowl, gradually adding the sugar.
- Gradually add the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture while continually stirring.
- Transfer the mixture back to the large saucepan and cook on medium-low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk until the mixture thickens and just coats a spoon. The food thermometer should register 160°F (71°C). Stir in vanilla.
- Cool quickly by setting pan in a bowl of ice or cold water and stirring for about 10 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, several hours or overnight.
- Pour into a bowl or pitcher. Fold in whipped cream. Then dust with ground nutmeg.
Or, make a toast to the season using store-bought, pasteurized eggnog!
Enjoy! Happy Holidays, Barb