Common Questions

Certification, Licensing and all the rules that seem to come with it can produce some very good questions. Below are some of the common questions that we get from people.  We hope that this might help.  Remember we are also available to answer your questions – See Contacts on the Home Page.

What do I have to do to get Certified and Licensed?

  1. Purchase the Certification Training Fee with either printed manual ($47), pdf ($42) or course ($60). Go to the UW PAT Store for that.
  2. Schedule a test at DATCP. You MUST provide the Training Registration Certificate to DATCP at time of testing to have your test and Certification proceeded.
  3. Pass the test (get 70% to pass), you are certified for 5 years.
  4. Apply for a license through DATCP. These need to be renewed by December 31 each year, renewals are sent out in November.  Don’t forget, each business location will have to have a business license also.
  5. Quick Guide to Certification and Licensing.

I Lost my training registration certificate and I need to test, what do I do?

You are required to give the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) the training registration certificate at time of testing.  DATCP will NOT process your test without this certificate. The UW PAT Program charges $10 for the reissuing a lost certificate.  Retesting does not require a new certificate. Certificates will ONLY be issued to applicators we have record of purchasing the training fee.  If we have no record of training then a new training fee must be paid in full.  The reissued certificate will go to the address in the original order unless a new one is provided, it is then the responsibility of the applicator / company to send it to DATCP to have the test processed.

I have not received my results, certification card or license yet.  Who do I contact?

The UW PAT Program does not provide certification cards, applicator licenses or have access to your test results.  Everything to do with this and your test results is the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection’s (DATCP) responsibility. If you have not received your certification card or license please email  DATCP is given 30 days to provide results and cards, but it often takes between two to three weeks. Tests done at the Dane County (commercial only) testing center provide results and cards after the test.

I have lost my certification card or license.  Can I get another one issued?

Yes you can, please contact DATCP at and ask to have another one reissued.  Please provide your name, certification / license number and shipping address to have another sent.  Forgot your certification number or license number, no worries look it up.

I am not going to make my test.  Do I need to let DATCP know?

Yes. It is a common courtesy to open up your seat to another applicator if you can’t make your test.  Please email or call 608-224-4545 if you can’t make your test so that somebody else might get your spot.  Thank you.

I don’t know what category I am in.  How can I find out?

We have a listing of categories that can help guide you to the right one.  If you are still unsure, please feel free to contact us at or give us a call at 608-262-7588.

I failed my test, do I have to pay again?

No you do not.  However, you may have to wait to take the exam.  On the first failure you can test on the next available date AT LEAST 24 hours after your first test.  If you fail the second time or the third time you will have to wait 30 days from your last test.  After that you have to wait 6 months to test again.

Where do I go to pay the Certification Training Fee (with training materials)?

You order your certification training fees with training materials at the UW PAT Store.  Fees are charged per category selected. Private applicators, can purchase their fee and receive training at participating county extension offices or please scroll down at the store, please don’t order commercial fees.  There is a Commercial and a Private applicator section in the menu on the left.

How do pesticide licenses work and where do I apply for them?

Once you are certified (good for 5 years), then you have to apply for a Pesticide Applicator License.  This is $40 per applicator and is an annual charge. Renewal notices go out in November.  Pesticide applicator licenses all expire December 31st.

I have a new employee, do I have to add them to my business license?

Yes.  You are supposed to add new employees to your business licenses as they are hired. Please email with a) your business license number; b) business name; c) new employee’s name and applicator license number.  They will be added to your license.