You must register to receive a current edition training manual, pdf or online course, before you can become certified in any pest control category or subcategory in Wisconsin.

► For more information regarding the different categories, select a manual from the list on the ‘Certification > Certification Categories’ page.

Do I Need to be Certified?

You must be certified if you apply or direct the use of:

  • restricted-use pesticides
  • pesticides on a for-hire basis
  • pesticides in public schools or on school grounds
  • pesticides in aquatic environments

You also must be certified if you:

  • conduct pesticide-safety training to agricultural workers or pesticide handlers as required under the Worker Protection Standard (WPS)

A person is either a private applicator or a commercial applicator.

Certification is good for 5 years.

Private Applicator

You qualify as a private applicator if you meet both of the following criteria:

  1. You use or direct the use of pesticides for the purpose of producing an agricultural commodity.
  2. The applications occur on land owned or rented by you or your employer, or on someone else’s land if for exchange of goods or services between agricultural producers.

A private applicator may make incidental applications on someone else’s land for monetary compensation provided the applications are for the production of an agricultural commodity. Unlike applications made for exchange of goods or services, however, applications made for money are limited to a total of 500 acres spanning applications for no more than 3 different agricultural producers in any calendar year; if you exceed either limit, you are considered a commercial applicator for hire.

Commercial Applicator

Applicators who do not fit the private applicator definition are defined as commercial applicators. Commercial applicators who apply pesticides for money (contractual basis) on property not owned or rented by their employer are classified as ‘for-hire’ and must be certified and licensed.

How do I get certified and licensed?

Quick guide to certification

What Should I Order

How do I Order

To become certified and licensed in the State of Wisconsin

  1. Identify if you need to be certified or not.
  2. Determine if you are you a private or commercial applicator
  3. Identify which category you need to be certified in.
  4. Go to the PAT Store to purchase training fees. Training fees come with either a printed manual ($47), pdf manual ($42) or when available, an online course ($60).  If you want to pay by check, mail in your order form with check.  [ Commercial Applicator form  /   Private Applicator form ]
  5. Study the material
  6. Schedule an exam with DATCP. [ Schedule an exam ]
  7. You must present the filled out Training Registration Form to DATCP at time of testing to have your test graded. The form immediately follows the cover in the printed manual. We will send you the form via UPS if you order a pdf manual or online course.
  8. Pass the exam.  Certification is good for 5 years.
  9. Apply and pay for a license with DATCP ($51.20 annually).