Contact: Joy Kirkpatrick, Outreach Specialist, 608-263-3485, Joy.firstname.lastname@example.org
A webinar discussing Wisconsin’s Medicaid Program will be held Thursday, March 23, 2017, at various University of Wisconsin-Extension offices across Wisconsin. This webinar is the last in a series of webinars from UW-Extension that will focus on a variety of farm succession topics. This two-hour webinar begins at 1 p.m.
Farm business owners looking to the future of their farming operations have many issues to consider. Succession planning includes planning for the owner’s “Golden Years”; business planning to ensure the operation has financial capacity; developing the successor’s management skills; and estate and tax planning.
Skilled nursing care is an expense that can be difficult to plan for as farm families are building their businesses and trying to bring another person into the business. In 2016, the Genworth Cost of Care Survey indicated the median cost of nursing home care for a semi-private room in Wisconsin is about $7,800 per month. The average nursing home stay is about two and a half years. Medicaid is a federal program that provides assistance for those who cannot pay for skilled nursing care.
This webinar is for both the owner and successor generations to learn about the Wisconsin rules for the Medicaid program. Attorney Anthony Schmoldt, from Schmoldt Law Office, LLC, in Chippewa Falls will be the speaker for this webinar. The topics to be covered include:
- What is Medicaid/Medical Assistance?
- What are the rules for eligibility?
- What are the rules for recovery?
- What are the gifting rules and restrictions as they pertain to Medicaid?
- What are strategies and tools to protect certain business assets from Medicaid recovery?
The following UW-Extension offices are hosting this webinar. Please contact the local office for more information and location of the webinar nearest you.
- Appleton, contact UW-Extension Outagamie County – 920-832-5121
- Baldwin, contact UW-Extension St. Croix County – 715-531-1930
- Black River Falls, contact UW-Extension Jackson County – 715-284-4257
- Chippewa Falls, contact UW-Extension Chippewa County – 715-726-7950
- Durand, contact UW-Extension Pepin County – 715-672-5214
- Green Bay, contact UW-Extension Brown County – 920-391-4610
- Janesville, contact UW-Extension Rock County – 608-757-5696
- Juneau, contact UW-Extension Dodge County – 920-386-3790
- Kewanee, contact UW-Extension Kewanee County – 920-388-7137
- Medford, contact UW-Extension Taylor County – 715-748-3327 ext. 1
- Menomonie, contact UW-Extension Dunn County – 715-232-1636
- Merrill, contact UW-Extension Lincoln County 715-539-1078
- Montello, contact UW-Extension Marquette County – 608-297-3136
- Oconto, contact UW-Extension Oconto County – 920-834-6845
- Portage, contact UW-Extension Columbia County – 608-742-9687
- Sparta, contact UW-Extension Monroe County – 608-269-8722
- Spooner, contact UW-Extension Washburn County – 715-635-4444
- Sturgeon Bay, contact UW-Extension Door County – 920-746-2260
- Superior, contact UW-Extension Douglas County – 715-395-1363
- Waukesha, contact UW-Extension Waukesha County – 262-548-7700
- Waupaca, contact UW-Extension Waupaca County – 715-258-6231
- Wausau, contact UW-Extension Marathon County – 715-261-1230
- Wautoma, contact UW-Extension Waushara County – 920-787-0416