- Plan your meals a week in advance. To make shopping trips more efficient and avoid impulse buying, make a list.
- Shop the perimeter. Fresh produce, meat and seafood departments are usually found on the outer edge of grocery stores, which is where you want to concentrate most of your shopping.
- Check food labels to compare nutritional values of products to make healthy choices.
- Load up on whole-grain breads, rolls and cereals, as well as brown rice and dried beans. When shopping, look for the word “whole” at the top of the ingredients list.
- Don’t skip the fruits and veggies. Most frozen fruits and vegetables contain as many nutrients as fresh produce. Or check out a Farmer’s Market to find fresh regionally grown food.
Source: Shopping Healthy Tips