A NEW 4-H educational travel opportunity will be offered for youth in Dane County! This experience is hosted by 4-H staff in the Northwest region of the state, and has recently been opened up to welcome youth from throughout Wisconsin.
WHAT IS IT?: An educational travel experience for Wisconsin youth in grades 9-12 who are involved in UW-Extension 4-H Youth Development programs
WHEN IS IT?: Tentative dates are June 20-30, 2018
WHERE IS IT?: The experience will begin with transportation to St. Croix Falls and head west from there. The planning committee is partnering with the National Park Service and will incorporate six national park units in the experience:
- Croix Falls National Scenic Riverway
- Pipestone National Monument
- Badlands National Park
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Yellowstone National Park
- Grand Teton National Park
- Devil’s Tower National Monument
Activities will include ranger-led educational programs, service learning projects, hiking, some camping, and fun!!!
WHAT IS THE COST?: Tentative cost of $1,500 per person. Payment is due January 10, 2018 if selected to participate. If you may need assistance covering the cost of this experience, please contact Brianna Stapleton Welch at 608-224-3702 for help in developing a fundraising plan.
WHY DO IT?: 1. Youth learn about the foundation and background of national parks. 2. Youth gain an appreciation of natural resources. 3. Youth gain outdoor skills and leadership skills
HOW DO I APPLY?: Submit your application by December 1, 2017 using this Google form.
- Up to 4 youth will be selected to represent Dane County on this experience
- Applications will be reviewed by UW-Extension staff who are not directly involved with the 4-H Youth Development program and who have experience working with other community programs.
- All identifying information will be removed from applications. Reviewers will be scoring only short essay responses.
- Selected youth will be notified by December 8, 2017 and will need to return a commitment form verifying participation by December 13, 2017
Since this experience has only recently been offered and may not be offered on an annual basis, it is not one of the award experiences facilitated by the Dane County 4-H Awards Committee.