Motivated and engaged employees are key to the success of a business. Happy, driven employees perform better, are more creative, and deal with stress more effectively, as research has shown.
The level of motivation and engagement of employees, while somewhat hard to measure, is important for managers to be aware of. Sometimes employees are not a good fit for their position or the farm, or sometimes there is an external situation happening in the employee’s life. Most often though it’s the workplace environment which contributes to poor morale and low drive among employees. While managers cannot make an employee motivated, they do have control over the environment where the employee works. By promoting a workplace where autonomy, relatedness, and competence – needs of every employee – are valued, motivation and engagement will follow.
The Developing a Motivated Workforce module is designed to assist a farmer or HR manager to cultivate an environment where employees are engaged and motivated to succeed in their jobs. Through activities and assessments, farmers or HR managers will identify factors to employee motivation and engagement, become aware of the different types of power that exist in relationships, and work through issues that tend to arise when employees are disengaged. Improving employee motivation can reduce turnover, poor performance, and conflict in the workplace.
- Increase awareness of motivating factors and types of power.
- Identify the keys to a motivating environment.
- Use an assessment tool to determine the factors which motivate their employees.
- Reduce employee turnover by implementing strategies to create a motivating environment.
- Learn strategies for addressing issues surrounding motivation in the workplace.
English version of the Facilitator Guide – (PDF, 307KB)
Activity #1 - Assessing the Motivating Environment
Activity #2 - Internal Forces Activity
Activity #3 - Employee Motivation Scenarios
Activity handouts are listed above.
- Motivating Your Employees – print out and make a copy for each participant (PDF, 668KB)
- Tips for Motivating Your Employees – print out and make a copy for each participant (PDF, 486KB)
- Understanding Influence, Power and Persuasion Worksheet – print out and make a copy for each participant (PDF, 602KB)
- Self Determination Theory and Work Motivation article – (PDF, 253KB)