What: This Contest test the knowledge of youth in placement of carcass and retail cut classes, carcass grading, retail cut identification and a quiz. This contest occurs annually with the teams traveling to Kansas City, MO and Denver, CO for national competition. There is a Junior Division as well at the state level.
When: Saturday, Feb.18, 2017, 12:30 registration, 1:00 pm start time
Where: UW Madison, Meat Lab
2016 Contest Information:
2017 Meats Judging Resource Packet – Please print out this packet as it includes all information regarding the 2017 contest.
2017 Meats Judging Registration Form -Fillable Please use this form to register youth on teams. This form is due to Lynn Pfeiffer by February 6th.
Meats Contest Resource Sheets – Below are examples of sheets used in the contest.
Beef Carcass Evaluation
Pork Carcass Evaluation
Lamb Carcass Evaluation
Beef Grading Worksheet
Processed-Meat ID – Updated 1/26/2017
2017 Media Information:
2017 Contest Results –
- 2017 State 4-H Meats Judging Contest – Junior Results (Top 10, Top Teams, Top in Evaluation and Retail ID)
- 2017 State 4-H Meats Judging Contest – Senior Results (Top 10, Top Teams, Top in Evaluation and Retail ID)
2016 Media Information:
2016 Contest Results – Junior Division
- Top 10 Juniors – Retail ID PDF
- Top 10 Juniors – Evaluation PDF
- Top 10 Juniors Overall PDF
- 2016 Junior Team Overall Results PDF
2016 Contest Results – Senior Division
- Top 10 Seniors – Retail ID PDF
- Top 10 Seniors – Evaluation PDF
- Top 10 Seniors OverallPDF
- 2016 Senior Teams Overall Results PDF
Beef cut Chart: http://www.beeftips.com/cutchart.aspx
Interactive Meat Case: http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/butchercounter.aspx#explore
State 4-H Meats Judging Contest videos – Learn more about what the Wisconsin 4-H Meats Judging contest is all about and test your knowledge learning more about processed meats, retail meat cuts, reading a product label, along with judging various classes of retail cuts. Watch the video in full, or stop and pause along the way to gain more information!