Today, about 46 million Americans live in poverty. Through AmeriCorps Volunteers In Service To America (VISTA), you can make a tangible difference. And, you’ll find the fulfillment that comes from using your knowledge and skills to help those in disadvantaged circumstances turn their dreams into reality.
VISTA was founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 as a national service program designed specifically to fight poverty in America. In 1993, VISTA was incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs.
Did you know that President John F. Kennedy came up with the idea for VISTA? Or that many of the best-known anti-poverty programs, including Head Start and Upward Bound, were created by VISTA members? VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for nearly 50 years.
UW-Extension is proud to announce AmeriCorps VISTA volunteers.
AmeriCorps VISTA volunteers have partnered with UWEX, including 4-H Youth, Family Living, Agriculture, and Community Resource Development to expand the reach and impact of our services to low-income communities.
31 Summer VISTA’s Served the University of Wisconsin Extension During the Summer of 2014.
VISTA Useful Links:
- Poverty Awareness for Community Engagement (PACE): Allows UWEX educators to tailor poverty education workshops to meet the needs of local communities, to be used with those who are unaware of poverty in their community as well as those who are ready to take action to affect positive changes.
- Wisconsin 4-H Afterschool: This website contains over 55 activity plans that have been created by 4-H staff and reviewed by their peers, training resources and information on building partnerships.
- National 4-H Afterschool: This website has information on getting a program started in your area, resources, curriculum, and ways to become a trained personnel.
- Family Living Programs: This website covers topics on Wisconsin Families-Issues and Demographics, Hunger Close to Home, Food and Nutrition, and more.
Year-Round VISTA Initiative:
- We have year-round VISTA members working in partnership with UW-Extension in a number of counties. Learn more about current programs.