Posts Tagged ‘homes’

Test For Radon

Posted in Radon on January 2nd, 2014 by Diana Tscheschlok – Comments Off

Not sure whether to test? View the average radon measurements in your zip code.

Radon tests kits are easy to use and easy to find.

  • Short-term kits (48 hours) cost $10.
  • Long-term kits (90 days – 1 year) cost $23. Only available from the Fond du Lac County Health Department.


Short-term kits are available from municipal clerks in:

Municipality Address Phone
Brandon 115 N. Center St., Brandon, WI 920/346-5415
Fairwater 104 Main St., Fairwater, WI 920/346-5418
Fond du Lac County Health Department City County Government Center, 160 S. Macy, Fond du Lac, WI. 3rd Floor. 920/929-3085
Mt. Calvary 999 Fond du Lac St., Mt. Calvary, WI 920/948-9155
North Fond du Lac 16 Garfield St., North Fond du Lac, WI 920/929-3765
Ripon 100 Jackson Street, Ripon, WI 920/748-4915
Taycheedah W4295 Kiekhaefer Parkway, Fond du Lac, WI 920/921-5224
UW-Extension 400 University Dr., Fond du Lac, WI. (2nd floor of Admin/Ext Bldg at UW-Fond du Lac) 920/929-3173


Instructions are included with the test kit. When the testing period is over, mail the kit to the lab, and the lab mails back your results in a few weeks. Contact Gloria Smedema at the Fond du Lac County Health Department ( or 920/929-3085) if you have questions about your results.

If you are planning to buy or sell a house, it is highly recommended that you use a certified radon measurement professional.

With a result of 4 pC/L or higher, the EPA recommends mitigating your home using a certified radon mitigation contractor. This can be done after a home is built or during construction. People age 62 and older with very low incomes living outside the City of Fond du Lac may apply to receive a loan or grant from the USDA to finance a radon mitigation project in their home.

Borrow a Watt Meter

Posted in Energy on March 7th, 2011 by gloria.kelroy – Comments Off

Watt meters are now available for patrons to check out at most of the area libraries (see below).  A watt  meter monitors home energy usage.








Brandon 117 E. Main St.



2 weeks

Campbellsport 220 S. Helena



2 weeks

Fond du Lac 32 Sheboygan St.



3 weeks

Oakfield 130 N. Main St.




Ripon 120 Jefferson St.



2 weeks

Waupun 123 S. Forest St.



2 weeks


Weatherization Assistance

Posted in Energy on March 2nd, 2011 by Diana Tscheschlok – 1 Comment

Wisconsin residents who qualify for energy assistance can also apply for the Weatherization Program to make houses and apartments more energy-efficient and reduce utility costs.

Learn more about the Wisconsin Weatherization Assistance Program administered in Fond du Lac County by ADVOCAP.

WI Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

Posted in Energy on February 23rd, 2011 by Diana Tscheschlok – Comments Off

During the Wisconsin heating season (October 1 – May 15), residents of the state can apply to receive financial assistance to heat their homes.

Learn more at the WHEAP website.

Radon Resistant New Home Construction

Posted in Radon on December 20th, 2010 by Diana Tscheschlok – Comments Off

Building a new home that includes a radon mitigation system is much simpler than adding a mitigation system after the house is already built.

It is also inexpensive ($300-$600).

Learn more about radon resistant construction (State of WI).

Find a certified radon mitigation contractor (State of WI).

Radon for Builders and Contractors (EPA)

What are the risks of radon?

For more information, contact Gloria Smedema at the Fond du Lac County Health Department ( or 920.929.3085).

Healthy Air, Healthy Us is part of the University of Wisconsin-Extension For Your Information Network. Protected by Akismet. Blogging software based on WordPress.
© Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy