University of Wisconsin-Extension Team Forage
OUR MISSION | To develop and disseminate research-based information that will enhance profitable forage production and utilization while sustaining Wisconsin’s natural resources.
Scissors clip allows you to determine the alfalfa forage quality in your region and when to begin harvesting for the quality you desire.
Two points to help in planning:
- Alfalfa RFV changes about 4 points per day
- Recommend cutting for dairy cows at RFV 170 to get RFV 150 (assuming 15% field losses during harvesting and silage fermentation). Cut at 150 for other category of animals to have harvested forage quality of about 125 to 130 RFV.
About the Team Forage Website
- The site conglomerates a variety of forage crop related resources from University of Wisconsin faculty in different disciplines, departments, and locations. Topic pages are located above.
- Announcements of new material being added to topic pages will be posted in the right sidebar.
- You can sign-up for email notices of new additions. The sign-up box is in the right sidebar .
- Many items are found in multiple locations. For example, a Focus on Forage fact sheet will be on the Focus on Forage page, but also be located on the appropriate topic page(s) as well.