Your garden may be a good candidate for a micro-grant from The Gardens Network Fund, a Dane County-wide garden fund held in trust by Madison Community Foundation and administered by Community GroundWorks, Inc. Grants are considered and awarded by the Gardens Network Advisory Team. Funds for the micro-grant program come from individual gardens’ contributions of a portion of their plot fee income and other donations. These contributions help the Gardens Network meet our mission to promote equity in the Dane County food system.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Only community gardens that are open to the public and located in Dane County are eligible to apply.
- Applications are due by July 31st at 11:59pm.
- Gardens who receive funding must submit an end of season report by November 1st, 2017, demonstrating what has been accomplished. Reports must be a minimum of one paragraph long and include two shareable high-resolution photos of the project (with consent of release from people in photos). Your project does not have to be complete in order to send a report. Please submit reports to Community GroundWorks via mail or email (addresses listed on page 2). *If you do not submit a report by November 1st, you will not be considered for a grant the following year.
Garden enhancement grants are small grants, not to exceed $500 per project. Projects may consist of a wide variety of enhancements to your garden, including, but not limited to:
- Little libraries
- Pollinator projects
- Bird houses
- Soil amendments
- Gardener education, such as Master Gardening training, mentoring, engagement, pollinator/bee classes, or other educational opportunities that directly relate to your garden enhancement
- Community connection/engagement projects
- Community food areas (fruit/nut trees, raspberries, blueberries, etc.).
- Garden features or programs for children, seniors, disabled, teens, and/or features such as raised garden beds for people with disabilities who are interested in gardening
- Neighborhood beautification, informational signs, garden art, or other aesthetic components
- A plan to contribute produce to food pantries
The application packet for the Gardens Network’s Micro-Grant Garden Enhancement program is available online. Please go to https://danegardens.net/micro-grant-program/ to download the application.
Completed applications for the 2017 Gardens Network’s Micro-Grant Garden Enhancement program are due on July 31st at 11:59 pm.
Applications may be submitted by mail to: Community GroundWorks, Gardens Network Micro-Grant Application, 3601 Memorial Dr., Suite 4 Madison WI 53704
Applications may be sent electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Gardens Network Micro-Grant Application’ in the subject line.
Questions about the application? Email email@example.com or call 310-8847.