Each year about 200 youth who participate in 4-H dairy projects across the U.S. and Canada congregate in Madison, WI for the National 4-H Dairy Conference which is held annually in conjunction with World Dairy Expo. Participants learn about dairy production, dairy food processing, marketing and use of dairy products, and develop a broader understanding of careers available in the dairy industry. The conference consists of participatory workshops on the University of Wisconsin – Madison campus, speakers, tours, visiting the World Dairy Expo, and is a great opportunity to network with current and future dairy industry leaders.
Eligibility/Basis of Selection:
Wisconsin’s Youth Delegates will be selected from outstanding 4-H Dairy Program members who:
- Have participated at least three years in the 4-H Dairy Program, including the current year.
- Must be in 10-12 grade as of January 1 of the current year with a maximum age of 18 as of January 1 of the current year.
- Have outstanding records of 4-H Dairy accomplishments.
- Have abilities and talents, which will enable them to make a real contribution to the conference.
- Have an interest in the production, marketing, processing and use of dairy products.
- Are capable of bringing the inspiration and information back to their state and passing it on to others through talks, reports, news stories, etc.
- Have not previously attended the National 4-H Dairy Conference
- Are not exhibiting dairy animals at this year’s World Dairy Expo.
- Are not participating in this year’s National 4-H Dairy Cattle Judging Contest
Delegates will be selected based upon the information provided in this application. If necessary, interviews may be conducted to aid in the selection process. State funds will be used to cover a portion of the conference fee and the cost to Wisconsin youth selected to attend the conference will be $175 (this is subject to change from year to year). Youth selected to attend the conference are encouraged to seek scholarship funds from local committees, companies and organizations to help cover their cost.
If you would like to attend this conference as a delegate for Wisconsin please fill out the following form. In addition to filling out this form, you must have a letter of recommendation written by your 4-H Dairy Project Leader or your County 4-H Youth Development Agent explaining why you should be considered as a delegate to this conference. The letter can be mailed or emailed directly to:
Extension Dairy Youth Specialist
1675 Observatory Drive, Room 275
Madison, WI 53706