Wisconsin’s short summers provide relatively fewer opportunities to plant cover crops after a cash crop. However, Wisconsin farmers have a relatively large window to plant cover crops after harvesting winter wheat.
University of Wisconsin Extension has several resources to consult before planting a cover crop including:
- Cover crops following winter wheat or corn silage video
- Fitting cover crops into your system video
- For next spring, “Frost seeding red clover into winter wheat” fact sheet
- Dodge County Badger Plot: cover crops after winter wheat
- Radish as a cover crop fact sheet
The Midwest Cover Crop council has an extremely useful cover crop selector tool.