Skip Navigation

American Community Survey (ACS) Statistical Calculator

ACS Statistical Calculator: Like many people, I celebrated the release of the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey (ACS) 5-year estimates. The Census even included margins of error for each individual value to make my job easier. However, my enthusiasm was tempered when I starting adding several values together and realized that I had to recalculate the margin of error for the sum.

Don’t worry if you can’t remember how to calculate the margin of error for a sum of values or how to calculate the margin of error for a derived ratio. Katherine Curtis, UWEX Demographic Specialist, shared this online calculator, developed by the Oklahoma Department of Commerce, that makes it easy to calculate margins of error for sums, percentages and ratios.

Cover of free census guideIf you need a refresher on these statistical measures (what they are and why they are important) the Census provides FREE GUIDES developed specifically for a variety of users, including non-statisticians and the general public.

If you have used these calculators, please scroll down and let us know about your experience. We’d like to hear how you’ve used them and how well they worked. What have you found that works well or doesn’t work so well? Let us know what you like best and what you like least about the site. Is there another site you found that you’d recommend? If so, please share it with us. Or, ask a question. We just might be able to help you find an answer.