UWEX Colleague Community Food Systems Tools & Educational Resources
Community food systems content-based resources
• Definitions of Place-based Food Systems-compilation of existing definitions of community/local/sustainable food systems. by Laura Brown and Carrie Edgar
• Toward a Sustainable Community: A Toolkit for Local Government Volume 2, 2013. Volume 1 was completed in 2007 which focused on internal local government functions, such as energy use in government buildings, transportation fleets and purchasing. This second volume focuses on other functions of local government including local food (pg 42-45). by Laura Brown and Erin Peot
• Planning and Zoning for Local Food Systems Fact Sheet -This fact sheet addresses the production aspect of the food system and focuses primarily on the availability of land for food production near or within urban areas. by Kristy Seblonka
• Urban Agriculture in Practice-Riverview Gardens-An urban agriculture case study highlighting zoning and planning issues. by Kristy Seblonka
• Resources for starting an Agricultural Tourism Business. Includes Resources for getting started, business planning, management and operation, marketing , direct marketing, understanding agritourism customers, and trends. by Jim Resick and Laura Brown.
• North Central Region County Food Systems Profiles Portal – The Food Systems Profile provides an overview of existing data across a broad scope of food systems activities, documents how key indicators are changing over time, and serves as a baseline for community leaders and educators to identify opportunities for growth or expansion in regional food systems.
• Wisconsin Food Security Project- The Wisconsin Food Security Project provides localized information about the food security infrastructure in Wisconsin. The project promotes food security by helping planners and policymakers identify strengths and gaps in their communities, and by helping service providers and individuals and families to locate food-related resources.
• Public Blog Site- Includes educational resources on Food Access and Availability, Food Waste Mgmt, WI Farm to School, Community and School Gardening, registration for events, newsletters, Just in Time Webinar Series and resources that need to be accessible to the public or to colleagues who cannot access Sharepoint.
Tools to assist in doing community food systems work
• Just in Time Webinar Series - The purpose of the Just in Time Webinar Series is to support colleagues in offering timely education for a specific audience on a particular food systems topic. These are content driven webinars presented in a classroom style webinar format (presentation followed by discussion). Any Extension colleague is welcome to submit a proposal in an emerging area of programming interest and skills competency in community food systems.
• Sharepoint Workspace-Team agendas, minutes, photos, discussions, roster
• Community Food Systems Listserve-To reach extension colleagues interested in and programming in community food systems
• Wisline Anytime Account for Audio Access – Our team account can be used for workgroup projects, planning, and collaboration. Available for any workgroups to use for conference calls. Wisline anytime can be merged with Blackboard if you need both graphics and audio for your meeting. Contact email@example.com for moderator line access.
• Blackboard Collaborate- To set up free online meetings for your workgroups or add visual and interactive sharing to a phone meeting.
• Blackboard Collaborate Best Practices and Tip Sheet- This document provides an overview of how to setup the online meeting through Blackboard Collaborate and add audio using the team’s Wisline Anytime account. It also includes some best practices and tips for using Collaborate. This will be available on the Sharepoint site.
• Newsletter and archives-keep up on what’s going on in community food systems and use to promote your work
• CFS Team Google + Community -post questions, start a discussion, share resources with UWEX colleagues
• CFS Team display banner- use for community food systems outreach
• Space to present work-share your scholarly work at the annual CFS Team in-service
• Interdisciplinary Teams Expectations Document- check out Program Leadership’s expectations for the Community Food Systems Team
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Erin Peot, firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-890-4606.