Back again with 4-H photo blogs

Hi again. After a summer hiatus, my 4-H photography resources blog is back again for one more year. Starting next Monday, Oct. 25, I’ll be posting twice-monthly blog items through September 2011.

It’s good to be back. Our state 4-H photo advisory committee, a veteran group of 4-H photo leaders and staff members, has given me lots of suggestions for topics for the year. Take a look and tell me what you think.

My blog on Monday, Oct. 25, will emphasize that now is the time to celebrate the successes of your past 4-H photo project year and to start serious plans for the new. One idea I’ll encourage is for you and your members to plan a year-long group photo activity. I’ll suggest several possibilities to get your group thinking.

In the following blog, Monday, Nov. 8, I’ll highlight the work of Sauk Prairie’s 4-H club members, who have taken three photo trips since April, walking in the footsteps of local naturalist and author Augie Derleth. Derleth was famous for nature walks around his beloved twin cities of Sauk City and Prairie du Sac in Sauk County. During the club’s annual awards program on this night, Nov. 8, the group will celebrate with a PowerPoint of photos taken by youth and adults during their walks.

Other upcoming blog topics:

• What to look for when buying a camera
  • Fun do-it-yourself photography ideas
  • How and why to “deconstruct” an image, i.e., describe how an image was made
  • How to make your own 4-H photo field cards, i.e., cards with single photo-taking tips that will fit into your pocket for easy reference when you need them (see sample created by Dane County 4-H photo volunteer Tom Miller)
  • What you should know about processing, printing and managing your photos
  • The benefits of studying historical photos online and at local and state historical societies
  • Shedding some light on night photography
  • A look at the top photos in the 2011 State 4-H Youth Photo Display
  • How to figure out why your photo or your main subject might have turned out too blurry
  • How and why to become a county fair photography judge
  • Invitation to “Foto Follies,” statewide training for adult and youth 4-H photo leaders scheduled Sept. 23-25, 2011, at the Upham Woods Environmental Education Center, Wisconsin Dells (mark your calendars . . . lots more information to follow)
  • How to continue your support of the Wisconsin 4-H Photography Program

I won’t be writing all the blogs. Occasionally, I’ll ask a guest writer who knows more about a topic than I do. And there is room for more topics and ideas. If you have suggestions, tell me more. Thanks!

One Comment

1. Peggy Brown says:

Thanks for sharing and the information…I am glad that you are back. The topics look wonderful with many great ideas. We are excited to begin the new 4-H year!!